The Steganos Password Manager automatically creates a backup copy of your keychain every time changes are made to it.
We highly recommend that you also create a backup copy on an external storage medium so that you don't lose access to your passwords if, for example, your hard drive gets damaged, you lose access to your computer, or something similar.
Creating a backup copy
- Open the keychain you want to back up.
- Select "File" -> "Backup..." from the menu bar.
- Windows Explorer will open. Please select the desired location for your keychain and click "Select Folder". We recommend an external hard drive or any cloud storage as the location for the backup copy. The backup copy of your keychain is, of course, completely encrypted.
- You should repeat this process regularly so that you always have an up-to-date copy.
Note: Your backup copy consists of a file with the extension ".spm" and several files with the extension ".spe". If you want to move the backup copy to another location later, always make sure to move both .spm and .spe files.
Using an automatic backup copy
- Start the Steganos Password Manager.
- Select "File" -> "Start" -> "I want to open an existing keychain (backup)" from the menu bar.
- Windows Explorer will open and display the automatically created backup copies.
For each of your keychains there is a separate folder. This folder contains the most recent backup copy as well as copies created when previous changes were made.
- Please try the most recent backup copy first. To do this, please open the folder for the desired keychain, then the "latest" subfolder. Then select the keychain file and click "Open".
Now enter your password and your keychain will be mounted and usable again.
If you have manually created a backup copy, follow these steps, but select the location of your backup copy in Windows Explorer instead of the automatically created copy.